- Dr Gerard Ingham, Dr Kayty Plastow (MCCC registrar), Associate Professor Rebecca Kippen (Rural Health, Monash University), Nicky White (MCCC).
Description of project:
The Supervision of High-Risk Early Consultations (SHREC) Project is looking at safety in early GP training. According the RACGP Standards registrars are only supposed to manage patients they are competent to manage. However, the RACGP standards are outcome standards and do not provide clear direction about how the standard can be achieved. Our research asks:
- How are RACGP standards being delivered currently in Australian general practice training?
- How could the start of general practice training be made safer?
- Would a safety checklist to prompt the registrar to call the supervisor be of assistance, and if so, what should be on the checklist?
- Would a period of closer supervision at the start of training be acceptable?
Our research has involved interviews with lead medical educators from each of the nine regional training organisations and from focus groups of registrars and supervisors.
Gerard Ingham, Kayty Plastow, Rebecca Kippen & Nicky White (2019) Tell me if there is a problem: safety in early general practice training, Education for Primary Care, DOI: 10.1080/14739879.2019.1610078