Due to the current COVID-19 situation, the 2022 RACGP selection interviews will be conducted online.
Preparation for your interview
- Read the complete contents of the Candidate toolbox for information about the process.
- Print out the Interview Day Checklist and follow the instructions. You will also need to print your interview booking confirmation email and Zoom link email once you receive these. You cannot have dual screens on the day so you will need these in hard copy.
- Your Zoom interview link will be sent to you by email before your interview.
Please ensure you check your junk/spam email.
Due to the current COVID-19 situation, the 2022 RACGP selection interviews will be conducted online. They will also be in a panel format not an MMI.
MCCC will be holding RACGP interviews via Zoom on:
- Thursday 4 November.
Candidates will be sent an email with a link to book their appointment. This will be on a first in basis. Candidates will also be required to complete an Application to Train, return their confidentiality form and submit their HEA application via the portal. Please note failure to complete all of these steps by the deadline could result in your interview offer being withdrawn.
You will be invited to book your interview time via a portal on the MCCC website.
MCCC will contact applicants by email with a link to the portal and further details about the interview booking process.
It is important to choose a quiet space for your interview, with no interruptions from others or pets.
Your background is to be uncluttered as much as possible so it can be confirmed no other people are in the room with you.
Your desk space should be free of all reference material and devices. The only things available to you should be:
- Your ID to present to the interview host
- A fresh notebook or paper and a pen to take notes
- A glass of water or a clear bottle of water with no labels
- Your mobile phone (on silent) so that you can be contacted/contact your host if you experience technical issues.
The interview process is structured and standardised so that all applicants are asked the same questions, in the same way and scored against the same criteria. This ensures you are assessed on individual merit.
All candidates will be asked five questions relating to the Domains of General Practice. These questions have been set by the RACGP.
You are to join the Zoom interview at the time stated in your confirmation booking email. Do not join the interview early.
You will be in the lobby for a minimum of 10 minutes before the host connects you to the meeting for the candidate briefing, so do not worry, you haven’t been forgotten.
During the 10 minutes before the the briefing starts, please check:
- Internet connectivity is strong
- Audio and video is working correctly
- Camera is positioned on a head and shoulder view
- You don’t have a virtual background enabled and your background is visible and in good light
- Speaker view is selected as the Zoom view option.
The host will then accept you into the main meeting room and the 15-minute briefing will begin. Note: Failure to be ready at this point may mean your interview is cancelled.
You must provide your identification when asked by holding it up close to the camera.
If you have any queries about the interview process, you must ask the host at this point.
Two interviewers will then join the meeting and the interview will begin.
- There are five questions in total – each question will remain on screen until the following question begins.
- You have two minutes to read a question and take notes.
- To signal the two minutes is complete, the host will say, ‘TIME’.
- The interviewer will then read the question to you.
- You have eight minutes to answer the question, referring to your notes as needed.
- To signal the eight minutes is complete, the host will say, ‘TIME’
- If you run out of things to say, you can indicate to the interviewers that you have finished and the next question will be presented.
- The next question will then appear on the screen and the process repeats for questions 2-5, where you have two minutes reading time and eight minutes to answer the question.
You will be notified when all five questions have been completed and when to exit the meeting.
IT/system requirements for your virtual interview
In order to join your interview via Zoom, you will need to ensure you have the following:
System/network: A device with Windows, iOS or macOS operating system, a high speed internet connection and Google Chrome installed – this is the preferred browser for Zoom connections.
Video/Audio: A webcam (internal or external) and a headset (preferably with a jack or USB connection). Wireless headsets can be used but Airpods and similar are strongly discouraged as they can cause audio issues.
Prohibited items during your virtual interview
Dual monitors are not to be used during your interview. If you have multiple monitors set up, the screen must be switched off.
No program or browser tab other than Zoom must be open on your computer during the interview. This includes email etc.
You must not record the interview using Zoom, your computer or another device (eg mobile phone, tablet, video camera, digital camera).
No virtual backgrounds are to be used; your host and interviewers must be able to see you and the room you are in at all times.
You must not be connected to a VPN.
Testing your device for Zoom compatibility
Before your interview, visit the link below to join a test meeting to ensure that your set-up at your chosen location meets the technical requirements.
On the day of your interview you must also check your audio and video connections when you first join Zoom using your invite link, before you are admitted to the interview by the host.
Technical issues during your interview
If you encounter technical issues during your interview, try to reconnect to the Zoom meeting via the invitation link.
For further details, please see the ‘Zoom troubleshooting during your interview’ section, below.
Candidates will need to establish their identity to their Zoom host prior to beginning the interview.
Candidates will be asked to:
- Provide a verbal confirmation of their name and date of birth
- Hold a valid form of photo identification (driver’s licence, passport or other suitable photo ID) up to their web camera.
The integrity of the interview is paramount to ensuring a fair and transparent process for all candidates.
For this reason, the following rules apply:
- Interviews need to be conducted in a secure and private setting
- Candidates are to ensure there is no one else in the room with them
- No materials are to be referred to during the interview, only notes taken during the two minute reading time of each question
- No virtual backgrounds or images are to obscure the visual of the room and the candidate must remain visible to the panel for the duration of the interview
- The interview is not to be recorded by either MCCC or candidates
- Strict confidentiality must be adhered to regarding questions asked during the panel interview; questions or answers are not to be disseminated by the candidate during or post-interview.
Any breach of interview rules may be reviewed under the RACGP Educational Misconduct Policy.
Notes taken during interviews
Candidates may take notes during the two minute reading period for each interview question. Any notes and/or copies of questions written during interviews are to be destroyed by the candidate.
It is vital that you test your audio and video connection in Zoom BEFORE your interview.
However, we understand that unforeseen issues can occur on the day. We have expert assistance available to provide technical assistance but in many cases, the issues will be able to be resolved promptly by you and your host.
In the case of the following interruptions, the interview timer will be adjusted and you can continue your interview where you left off.
Please follow the following advice if you encounter issues on the day:
If you are disconnected from Zoom during your interview, rejoin the meeting by clicking the invitation link again and following the prompts.
If you are unable to reconnect, please text or call your host to let them know you’re having problems.
Connection is unable to be re-established
If you are impacted by frequent technical issues and/or the Zoom connection is unable to be re-established, the interview panel will make a decision as to whether to continue by phone or reschedule your interview.
If the interview needs to continue by phone, use the Zoom phone number provided in your interview invitation email.
If this occurs, the interview will start where your interview ended; you will not be permitted to make a second attempt at a question you have already answered.
Interview is rescheduled
If you have been significantly impeded by issues and your interview rescheduled, the interview will start where your previous one ended, with the remaining time of the current question honoured.
Should you have an incident during your interview that you believe has impacted on your ability to answer the questions, you may submit an Incident form which is available from the Selection Coordinator.
Letters of offer for training places will be emailed to candidates. Due to a tight timeline set by RACGP, offers will need to be responded to immediately.
Frequently asked questions
You will need to use a computer or laptop, not a tablet. Your device must have a built in or external webcam and have access to a high-speed internet connection.
You can find out more about the technical requirements in the section above labelled, Important ICT/system requirements and restrictions.
If you log in more than 10 minutes after your scheduled start time, you will not be able to complete your interview and will not be able to be considered for selection to the AGPT Program.
If you encounter unforeseen circumstances on the day of your interview, please contact MCCC via the details in your interview email.
You are required to have an accepted identification document ready on the day of your test to present to your interview host via your computer’s webcam.
You will be asked to hold your identification document up to your webcam and your host will record the details and ask you to confirm them verbally.
You can find more information on identification requirements in the above section called, Identification needed on the day.
Yes, you are permitted to take notes during the two minute reading time. At the conclusion of your interview, you must destroy all notes taken. This is explicit in your confidentiality agreement completed prior to attending your interview.
You are permitted to have a glass or bottle of water on your desk during your interview, but these should be clear with no writing or labels. No other food or drink items are permitted. Any breach of interview rules may be reviewed under the RACGP Educational Misconduct Policy.
No. You must remain on screen at all times during your allocated interview time.
If you have hearing or vision impairment, or a condition that may impact on your ability to participate via Zoom, please let us know in advance so that we can discuss this with you.
You will have eight minutes to verbally answer each question.
You will be notified when the eight minutes is up. You must then complete your point as quickly as possible, as the two minute reading time for the next question begins immediately. Spending more time than allocated on a question will use up your preparation time for the next question.
If you complete your answer before the eight minutes has been used, you may think about what you can add to your response and continue when ready.
If you have nothing further to add, let the panel know you have finished answering and are ready to move to the next question. You may not go back and add additional points once you have done this. Please use your time wisely.
If you are unwell or have any adverse circumstances affecting your ability to competently complete your interview, please let your host know at the time of the candidate briefing.
You may be able to apply for special consideration. This process will be discussed with you at the time.
If you are unable to attend your interview on the day you MUST let MCCC know in advance.